17 September 2016

Gloss Coat Failures

or why medium is not the same as varnish.
When I paint dolls I gloss the lips as well as the eyes (I wish I could remember who I picked up this tip from, but it makes the dolls look so much more life like). I picked up this Liquitex gloss medium to use and I liked the result (though you have to be careful because it kind of melts paint similar to nail polish top coat on nail polish). A unit of time later I made some polymer clay items. I looked up what sealants I could use (here, it's a good resource if you actually read it). I read "Liquitex" and I have Liquitex so I went ahead and painted all my pieces and then waited for them to dry. Then waited. And waited... They never dried. I gently touched the eye of a doll I painted over a year ago. It wasn't dry. D: I then actually read the website and discovered that you should not use the medium (green label) but the varnish (orange/red label). Woops. So I've ordered the varnish and eventually I'll update on how it works.

No comments:

Post a Comment